Re: Web Intents and Home Networking Scenarios

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 23:32:23 +0100, Bjartur Thorlacius
<svartman95@gmail.com> wrote:

> Þann fös 13.jan 2012 12:12, skrifaði Giuseppe Pascale:
>> 1. the user browse from his PC to a page that contains a video (e.g.
>> youtube)
>> 2. the page shows a button that allows the user to show the video
>> "somewhere else"
>> (note: doesn't necessarily need to be another device, maybe just
>> another media player on his pc).
>> This could be done with a "view" intent.
> What is the use case for not allowing the user to show a video somewhere
> else? Whether to show videos on a secondary screen or what video decoder
> to use depends more on the circumstances of the viewer(s) than the video
> server.
indeed, but the functionality could be handled/mediated by the application

> For example, when located at home, I would want videos I navigate to on
> my handheld computer to be fetched by my router and drawn to my larger
> living room display. On my desktop, I would want the same navigation to
> result in the the video being rendered to a window on the screen of the
> desktop. Both could be achieved with <a href type>.

Here what we want to achieve is a 2 (or n) screens experience, where maybe
I have a tablet, find a video, push it to the main TV screen but keep
using the application to see additional content and maybe control the
video being showed on the TV screen. Since this involve communication
between 2 devices, I'm not sure this can be achieved only with a link
(unless this is a browser feature of course, but we are arguing for a
solution that can be handled by apps rather than browsers/extensions).

/g

--
Giuseppe Pascale
TV & Connected Devices