Re: Mapping WebIntents to Network Service Discovery API

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 23:37:41 -0000, Clarke Stevens
<C.Stevens@cablelabs.com> wrote:

> I think the mapping is fairly straightforward with one exception. For
> some
> protocols (e.g. UPnP) it is necessary to support device-initiated events.
>
> Since I think this same requirement would exist for other frequently used
> WebIntents examples (like printing documents), I think there must be a
> common solution, but I'm having trouble finding one.

Perhaps separate "event notification" intents could implemented in a
long-polling style? This would take advantage of an intent's ability to
return a response.

A client would fire off this intent, then be asynchronously sent a
response when an event occurs. The client would then need to re-fire the
same intent to capture the next event, unless it is no longer interested
in being notified of them.

In the context of printing, this might manifest as:

1) The client requests a PrinterStatusChangeNotification intent
2) When the printer runs out of paper, a response is returned to the
client from this intent.
3) The client requests a PrinterStatusChangeNotification intent again
4) The client is notified when the printer changes state again
5) ...

Matt
--

http://www.bbc.co.uk/