RE: Passing "origin" with intents

Conrad wrote:
> A couple of other use-cases for including the origin could be:
> might want to block content from http://*.xxx.

I don't think this as described is a valid use case. If you want to block content, you'll need to block the content anyway. Just discriminating against its origin won't do the right thing. It'll be a case of whack-a-mole.

> * UI enhancement: If I am running an editing web-intent, it would be
> nice to be able to tell the user "return to <origin>"

This is flawed. The UX we're designing handles this automatically. You're in a tab/subframe, the user closes you and is automatically returned.

> * Authentication: If I am running an authentication web-intent, it's
> essential to know which website is asking for the user's identity (I
> don't want to give it to a malicious 3rd-party by accident).

I think this is also flawed. If you're an identity provider, then it's your job to do what your client, which is the user, asks you to do, not to do what you think is right. If I, the user, ask you to identify me to Cops in Cuba or Iran, and you feel opposed to that, tough, the fact that you're an American organization doesn't magically entitle you to refuse partial service to me (I'm picking on the hypothetical American, I'm an American too).

There's nothing *accidental* about the user selecting your provider. The user is consciously choosing you, if the UA fails to get this part right, then WebIntents have totally failed (in that UA) -- and that needs to be fixed.