RE: exploration of non-web intent providers

Hi Jean-Claude,

That is correct. This approach is forward-looking and targets local network devices ("device 2") that are Web Intents enabled. In order to fully leverage the strength of the Web Intents concept I think that the local network devices have to be Web Intents enabled. So this is what we currently are focusing on.

Support for existing UPnP (or other local network) devices is another use case. There are possible solutions for this but I think it will more difficult to really use the benefits of the Web Intents concept for existing UPnP devices. One option is to make the Client page aware of UPnP and the communication protocol with the Service as I describe in slide 16 - 20 in http://www.w3.org/wiki/images/f/fa/W3C_Web_Intents_-_Local_Service_Discovery.pdf. This is possible but we loses the basic idea with Web Intents, i.e. allowing a Client web application requesting an Action be performed by a user selected Service and not know in advance which Service the user selects and the specific discovery/communication mechanism of different Services capable of fulfilling the requested Action.

So when we talk about Web Intents for local network Services we must be clear on which use case we assume.

Best regards
  Claes