Re: UPnP service implementing an intent

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Clarke Stevens <C.Stevens@cablelabs.com> wrote:
> I have the opposite problem. I know how UPnP works, but I'm just learning
> Web Intents.

My hope is that people like you will be able to write the glue for this...

> I am becoming convinced that discovery can work much the same way it does in
> the Opera/CableLabs API and implementation we submitted to DAP.

That's definitely my hope, where such glue is actually maintained by
non browser people since most of the code is really the UPnP / similar
bits.

> In this model, the UA does the discovery behind the scenes.

Yes.

> When the application wants to do some action,
> it can register an intent and the UA could recognize and handle it.

We should probably clarify each "it" here. The first it is probably
the UPnP discoverer background task (richt mentioned this, again i
think it missed the minutes, sorry).

The second it here is actually the action on behalf of the requester
and the destination provider.

> However, there are a couple of things that I don't
> yet understand about Web Intents' ability to handle a couple of UPnP (and
> other protocols) features.

> Persistence – Once interaction with a device is established, there is a
> presumed ongoing relationship with that device.

> For example when I start playing a movie, my experience is not complete.

> I may want to pause the moving (implying that I realize it is playing and I want
> to pause it).

> I may want to maintain some sort of counter in my UI to indicate how much of the
> movie is remaining.

> I may want to transfer the playback of the movie to a different television.

The transfer bit is covered under [1] §6 Hotswapping and a
conversation about rerouting [2][3][4].

> I would imagine I can keep track of such things as a feature of the UA or in my application.

I expect this to be something managed by the UA.

> Is this the expected solution?

> Events – There are numerous cases in which a device handling an intent must
> initiate communication back to the device that requested the intent WITHOUT
> any corresponding request. Is this possible with intents?

Sorry, i'm not quite sure what you mean by this. I think you'll want
to expound upon this UC.

There are some bits about Transferables [5][6][7][8][9], I happen to
like my approach [10], but this isn't entirely thought through.

> If so, what is the expected way to do this?

I believe we're still able to talk about that here :).

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-intents/2011Nov/0011.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-intents/2011Nov/0027.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-intents/2011Nov/0014.html
[4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-intents/2011Nov/0033.html