Re: Web Intents: Opacity

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 20:37:44 +0100, timeless <timeless@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Paul Kinlan <paulkinlan@google.com>

>> The ability to know if an action can be handled is a common feature
>> request amongst developers that I speak to, they are concerned that if
>> they can't detect that there is an app to handle it then it is a
>> terrible UX.
>
> I posted an example where a page could provide itself as a
> local-provider for an intent [1].
>
> This means that if there are 0 other registered providers, the UI for
> choosing an intent only shows the user the page's own (which can be
> defaulted or whatever) and the user isn't left alone.

I agree with developers concern but I also see the concern you have about
fingerprinting, so question: would it be a solution to let the application
declare (maybe via markup) which actions it "intends" to use, so that the
user-agent can warn the user that he has no providers registered for such
actions (and maybe offer a list of providers he may want to go and check)?

> This is one of the reasons that I want a way to have ยง1-C "business
> card links" [3] for other providers. If you don't want to implement
> your own but know of a couple of services, you can hint to the browser
> about them and even if it doesn't have a database or search engine, it
> could pull them up as suggestions for the user.

This could be aligned with what I suggested above, so you can declare
which actions you rely on and optionally point to some you know are
available.

--
Giuseppe Pascale
TV & Connected Devices