RE: Is it a good idea to make your WADL available?

This topic is one of many unfinished Roy conversations that I wish I had
more time for.  He is against web description languages for the reason
of increasing the coupling between systems.  I never really got to dig
into why he believes that.

Having said that, I think that description languages make it easier to
deploy a more scalable ( in terms of # of resources) system.

Let's take a very simple example, providing the schema type for the http
GET result of a particular URI, aka an association between a URI and
it's represenation's schema.  Most systems right now say in text things
like, "if you get this URI, you'll get back a document that meets this
particular schema".  So the developer then handcodes that association.
If the schema ever changes, then they will have to go in and change it
by hand - and they'll find out when they break.  OR if backwards compat
is preserved then there will be a new URI for a new schema that they
won't know about until they go trolling through the docs.

If you have a description language, the association between URI and
schema for result can be automated and that includes the evolution of
the contract.  For small #s of URIs, that's might not be that big a
deal.  For large #s of resources, that becomes a big deal.

Now I ask, "How is an automated association between representation
schema and URI more tightly coupled than a human discovered
association?"  To be clear, I'm not talking about strong-typing, I'm
talking about simply the association.  You can make either of these
strong or loosely typed by how you design the schema.  The question is
about coupling of the association itself.

I think that these are equally coupled.  In either scenario, if the
service changes the client may break or miss something.  I do think it
affects a different "property of interest", which is ease of development
and scalability of components.

You *could* argue that having an association between URI and
represenation schema will lead people to build more brittle software
because they will do something different in their design, but I think
that's going to be a tough one to argue.

I say yay verily, publish any and all Web Description Languages.

Cheers,
Dave