Re: Interfaces

On 3/27/06, Mark Nottingham <mnot@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> I'm seeing some confusion when people say "interface" in relation to
> the Web; a RESTifarian will say that the interface is uniform --
> e.g., GET, PUT, DELETE, POST -- but there's also a colloquial use of
> "interface" to indicate the set of resources that a Web application
> exposes; e.g., "the Flickr REST interface."
>
> Anybody have a better term for the latter (that isn't too unnatural)?

Still seems an improvement on calling everything an API, though having
said that...

"Interface" seems not-inaccurate for both cases, so (in lieu of a more
distinctive alternative) how about using qualifiers, maybe "common" or
"base" interface for the HTTP methods, "domain" or even "application"
interface for Flickr etc..?

Cheers,
Danny.

--