Re: Use Cases

On Jun 12, 2006, at 11:09 PM, Paul Downey wrote:

> On 11 Jun 2006, at 11:01, Jan Algermissen wrote:
>
>> When you say "information [...] that your app can use to decide",
>> do you refer to the time the app is built (or configured) or to
>> the time the app actually consumes the form in its runtime
>> interactions with the service.
>
> How can you tell if someone takes a HTML page and uses it to
> display a form,
> or uses it to generate Java code, builds it, and then some time
> later sends
> the same HTTP request?

Well, the issue here is what happens when the service implementation
changes. REST's programming model motivates the idea that (within
reasonable boundaries of course) the service should be able to evolve
(change it's interface) without breaking any existing client; as long
as the service sticks to the MIME type that defines the shared
semantics between clients and server.

>> IMHO it should be the latter - I think the former leads to
>> uneccessary coupling.
>
> IMHO making such a distinction is unnecessary coupling.

Hmm...why?

Jan