Re: Is it a good idea to make your WADL available?

On 8/31/06, Mark Nottingham <mnot@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> As I've said before, my primary use cases for WADL (and other desc
> formats) are
>    a) as a design-time aid
>    b) for documentation generation
>    c) for server and intermediary configuration
> and possibly also for stub generation on the server side.
>
> Talking to folks about this, I'm starting to wonder if there are
> *any* good use cases for sharing your Web description with clients,

Sorry Mark, maybe I'm missing something here, but wasn't the original
idea to encourage client (machine)-readable descriptions? Point a
fairly generic client the WADL, it has some notion what to expect.

I guess there's a grey area between where the description is used to
create a client-side stub, which gets hand(hard)-coded on top of,
though...

> because doing so risks engendering tight coupling.

...but if the client was to some extent self-configuring from the
supplied description, if the description changed, so would the
client..?

Cheers,
Danny.

--