Re: Role of operations?

On Jun 15, 2005, at 9:37 PM, Mark Baker wrote:

>> But if you want to generate code from the service description - and
>> I'm not arguing for it, just pointing out the options - there will be
>> some abstract description of what interactions (to avoid the term
>> 'operations') are possible, and what data is being exchanged.
>>

> I don't think you can so easily sweep the operation under the rug.
>
> By choosing to publish a RESTful service (ah, it's nice to be able to
> treat that as axiomatic for once! 8-), the service provider has
> explicitly opted to avoid application specific operations, and use
> uniform
> ones instead.  I don't think it's in in the interest of either the
> service provider, nor would-be consumers, to introduce other
> operations
> in a description language, since at best IMO, they'd just serve to
> confuse.

Seems to me that the role of an 'operation' in a description is to
provide a mnemonic name for a supported combination of URI, HTTP
method, expected/required input(s) and possible output(s). This looks
to me like a useful grouping and I don't see any fundamental problem
with exposing such a grouping in a description.

Marc.

---
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
Business Alliances, CTO Office, Sun Microsystems.