Re: Code generation or forms?

On 6/2/05, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org> wrote:

> It sounds like the ability to generate code from these descriptions is
> an objective for you, right?  As I mentioned, I'm personally interested
> in having these descriptions consumed at runtime, since I think that's
> far higher value ("more open to evolution", as you say).

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but I haven't seen any
evidence that optimizing for one application will be to the detriment
of the other.

> Do you think that a single description document could be used both at
> runtime and design-time?

Perhaps not a single description document, but maybe a single notional
description, subsets of which may be more appropriate for one
application or another (design/run time). This could appear as a
master doc (which may or may not be complete) and little bitty ones
selected for different jobs.

Maybe if the starting point is the description of a Web resource in
such a manner that describes *all* the exposed details and
capabilities (by relation to HTTP), rather than "what do we need for
design time use"/"what do we need for runtime use", the description
will be more portable and reusable.

Cheers,
Danny.

--