Re: Caveats for Web-friendly service description

On Jun 1, 2005, at 9:57 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:

> Before this list goes into a "what is a [wW]eb [Ss]ervice?" (cf
> xml-dev), may I suggest to avoid that term... if possible? Some of us
> are involved in Web Services effort and, foreseeing the issue, I
> careful
> pointed to a definition of "Web Service" in the introduction
> message [1]
> to prevent confusion and debate around it.

Philippe-

I understand what you mean.

I read from your posting that this list especially is *not* targeted at
such[1] web services and discussions on this list should avoid the
term altogether.
Is that correct?

But then, I feel there should be term for what is actually being
described...
What about:

- resource
- Web application
- RESTful (Web) application

Or am I missing something (not being a native speaker)?

Jan

[1]http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-gloss-20040211/#webservice

> This would also help us
> spreading confusion as well about our intent.
>
> Philippe
>
> [1]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-http-desc/2005May/
> 0001.html

Jan Algermissen, Consultant & Programmer
http://jalgermissen.com
Tugboat Consulting, 'Applying Web technology to enterprise IT'
http://www.tugboat.de