Re: Mirror GitHub activity onto this list?

On March 19, 2015 at 8:42:00 AM, Kostiainen, Anssi (anssi.kostiainen@intel.com) wrote:
>  It is helpful in providing a permanent archive though.

I think this is the most important bit.

> Power users are likely able to set up their mail filters as such
> that it does not get spammy even if they're watching the repo at
> the same time. My concern was we may miss out contributions and
> review by people who join the group and forgot to watch the GH repo.

It's the responsibility of the Chair to make sure that when people join the CG, they are made aware of the group's work modes. So, hopefully when people join, they are being told to subscribe themselves to the repo, etc.

> I guess it is a matter of whether to optimize for core contributors
> or for the wider community. At least for review purposes including
> the wider community would be ideal, but that can of course be handled
> manually as well.

It's a fine balancing act. If we flood the mailing list, then people will run away. Github is good because it provides most of the benefits of email, including the filtering - plus actual *active* ways of participating in the process.

My preference would be to keep the mailing list for announcements, call for comments, and for the rare occasion when some out-of-band discussion needs to take place. And to make sure we keep people aware that the work is happening on GH.