Re: Scanning for beacons w/in a web page

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin@google.com>
wrote:

> The main privacy risk from connecting-to-every-device-in-a-class
> appears to be the location-tracking aspect, so we need to ask users
> whether the site can track their location using surrounding bluetooth
> devices. Can we time- or space-box the grant? i.e. can/should we let
> users make it auto-revoke when they leave the museum?
>
> How does an application infer the location of a beacon? I assume the
> application uses the beacon's BT_ADDR or a unique ID in the
> advertising data, and then looks that up in a database. Dominic Battre
> recently objected to the statement in
>
> https://webbluetoothcg.github.io/web-bluetooth/#identifiers-for-remote-bluetooth-devices
> that the UA may expose the BT_ADDR to web pages, so I'd like him to
> comment on the user warning we'd need to allow that for a class of
> devices. Scott, do you have any suggestions here?

There are many ways to determine location, the simplest is to have each
beacon have a unique ID and whenever you connect to it, you look it up.
However, that risk is just as real with only a single beacon. Claiming that
multiple beacons is somehow more risky than a single one is splitting hairs.

> Permission to _talk to_ the device could come with the
> location-tracking, or it could be separate. I'm not sure how to
> explain either, really: how do we identify a class of devices that's
> distinct from "all devices", and how do we get a name for that class
> that users will understand correctly? Scott, this one's for you too.

As discussed above, you can't separate the two. While it's nearly
impossible that your heart rate monitor can give away your location, it is
possible if you connect to a parking meter.

However, we do have the geo-location API in the web today, we have already
covered the concern that a web api may give away your location. The
difference here is that 99% of the time, a BLE device won't be able to give
away your location so how can we responsibly warn the user without scare
mongering?

> If we keep permission-to-talk separate from location-tracking, we can
> do it something like this: you'd get a notification that this website
> can communicate with this device (possibly on the website itself),
> you'd click the notification, and it would pop up a 3-way permission
> dialog: "No", "Yes this device", and "Yes this class of devices". Then
> users control how much access the site gets. On the other hand, this
> is an extra dialog, and we don't want to interrupt the user
> unnecessarily.

A couple of points here. Again, you can't enforce location vs not-location.
Also 'class of devices' is a fairly sweeping term and is likely hard to
define. This is actually my biggest concern and what I wanted to focus on.
It would be very hard to enforce a single class of device and most likely
you'd have to offer generic scanning capabilities (because anything less
would be dishonest) This could be offered on a limited basis (possibly) but
much like geo-location, would have to be a prompted user request.

Scott