Re: Sketches of extensions to support Eddystone and resuming sessions

[Moving this discussion to the email thread, as it's a bit larger than fits
in the doc.]

scheib:
>> The API should return the device ID rapidly, without waiting to see if a
>> discovery can verify that the device is in proximity and known to the
>> Adapter. Perhaps the ID is returned by returning a BluetoothDevice object,
>> but in that case additional data is bundled: name, deviceClass, UUIDs.
>> Should the Browser persist those and provide them speculatively presuming
>> they haven't changed?
>> It may be simpler to return simply IDs, and have getDevice(DOMString) be
>> called later which would then perform discovery.
>

> Jeffrey Yasskin:
> Yes. I'm currently imagining that none of these would do anything with the
> BT radio. They'd return cached data from the last time the browser saw the
> device. Do you think saving that cached data is too expensive?
> The webapp has the option of saving the set of IDs it's seen, so I don't
> think there's a lot of use in a getDeviceIDs() function that just returns
> the IDs. Sure, that'll take revocations into account, but so will the next
> getDevice(id) call. The key here is getting the Device objects back.
> We should also eventually add a function to request the set of
> available/nearby devices, but I don't know what that should look like yet.
> I'm inclined to let folks set an "auto-connect" bit on the device itself,
> and then they'll get notified when the connection happens, which means the
> device is nearby. We should try to avoid doing a full scan to get this
> information: that doesn't take advantage of BT controllers' power-efficient
> connection whitelist.

I'm concerned about caching e.g. the UUIDs and adData - It's concerning to
me that the data may be too stale - it may have been months or years since
it was captured.

The argument that a site can cache IDs is valid. The argument cuts both
ways though, if sites can cache IDs, they could cache the rest of the
information as well.

We would offer them to the site as a convenience, because there's a good
chance many useful apps could be implemented without persisting any other
data. I'm not seeing an obvious answer, it's a convenience argument. My
bias is for the simplest mechanism that offers the convenience, (just
provide IDs), and my next preference would be to not build any caching into
the API - let sites use a storage option instead, and only provide
getDevice(id).