Re: Notes from meeting between Chrome and Mozilla folks

From: Marcos Caceres <marcos@marcosc.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 17:59:43 -0400
To: Shawn Huang <shuang@mozilla.com>, Vincent Scheib <scheib@google.com>
Cc: public-web-bluetooth <public-web-bluetooth@w3.org>, Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin@google.com>

On August 8, 2014 at 5:52:28 PM, Vincent Scheib (scheib@google.com) wrote:
> > But we still need API to accept UUID as the parameter for those
> vendor specific defined GATT Profiles (it contains their own
> Service/Characteristic UUID).

I don't know if you do or not at this point (and I don't think we are at the point where we can say this). JS could give a script back an opaque object that represents the device/service - just like we don't give scripts the actual file when the user selects a file from the hard drive using <input type=file>.

Seems pretty obvious that scripts should not be allowed to request exactly the device - they should only be able to request: "I need a heart rate monitor" or "I need a [gizmo/generic-thingo]". It's then the user that grants access to a gizmo claiming to have some protocol to talk over.

--
Marcos Caceres