From: Mounir Lamouri <mlamouri@google.com>
Sent: 01 February 2021 20:10
To: public-media-wg@w3.org
Cc: Paul Adenot <padenot@mozilla.com>; Chris Cunningham <chcunningham@google.com>
Subject: CfC: Adopt and Publish FPWD of WebCodecs

Hi all,

Following group discussions during our call in December and exchanges with the group chairs, W3C team contact, and specification editors, this is a Call for Consensus (CfC) on adoption of the WebCodecs specification as a Media WG deliverable and on its publication as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD).

The specification is available at: https://wicg.github.io/web-codecs/

It defines interfaces for encoding and decoding audio and video. It also includes an interface for retrieving raw video frames from MediaStreamStracks. The specification matches the "Encoders/Decoders API" entry in the Potential Normative Specifications section of the Media WG charter:
https://www.w3.org/2019/05/media-wg-charter.html#potential-normative

The CfC will last for two weeks and will end on the 14th of February 2021. Please reply to this email and state one of the following:
 * I support adopting WebCodecs as a Media WG deliverable and publishing it as a FPWD.
 * I support adopting WebCodecs as a Media WG deliverable but object to publishing it as a FPWD (please detail your concerns).
 * I object to adopting WebCodecs as a Media WG deliverable (please detail your concerns)

The specification is currently owned by the Web Platform Incubator Community Group (WICG). Effective adoption of the specification supposes that the spec migrates out of WICG. See corresponding Intent to Migrate: https://github.com/WICG/web-codecs/issues/130

On behalf of the chairs,
-- Mounir