Fwd: Proposal from HbbTV

This may be of interest for people on this list (any comment is better sent
to the in band tracks list though)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Alexander Adolf <alexander.adolf@condition-alpha.com>
Date: Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 2:17 PM
Subject: Proposal from HbbTV
To: public-inbandtracks@w3.org
Cc: Jon Piesing <jon.piesing@tpvision.com>, Nigel Megitt <
nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>

Dear Members of the W3C Media Resource In-band Tracks Community Group,

My name is Alexander Adolf, and I am writing to you on behalf of the HbbTV
Association (http://www.hbbtv.org), where I represent LG Electronics in the
technical specification working group. We are working on the next version
of our HbbTV specification for connected TV sets, and that is based on
HTML5. Hence your work on a proposed mapping spec for the W3C HTML WG for
sourcing in band media resource tracks from media containers into HTML is
of great interest to us.

As I also happen to be the chairperson of the DVB signalling working group,
and the editor of the DVB signalling specifications, I have been asked by
the HbbTV colleagues to review your document, and to suggest how to also
cover DVB services. The pull request I have created on GitHub (
https://github.com/silviapfeiffer/HTMLSourcingInbandTracks/pull/1) is the
proposal of the HbbTV Association to also include DVB services. HbbTV does
not have requirements to expose the full capabilities of the DVB broadcast
system to HTML. As a result, the proposal does not cover all the
functionality that your current document defines for the ATSC broadcast
system. If you want to go further, you would have to contact DVB.

As you will see, I have restructured the section on MPEG-2 Transport
Streams quite a bit to make room for DVB-specific stuff. I have retained
your text in the ATSC parts. I have also added empty parts for the Japanese
ISDB system. As I just saw on GitHub, user YosAwed has already picked that
up and seems to be starting to fill in the ISDB stuff.

As well as the MPEG-2 transport stream section, the HbbTV proposal includes
changes to the sections on MPEG-DASH and ISOBMFF. On MPEG-DASH, our
proposal addresses alignment with the recently published DVB profile of
MPEG DASH (https://www.dvb.org/resources/public/standards/a168_dvb-dash.pdf)
and support for the DASH event stream mechanism added by MPEG in the second
edition of the DASH specification. In the section on ISOBMFF, our proposal
adds support for the EBU-TT-D profile of TTML alongside the SMPTE profile
of TTML.

We are thus proposing the updates conveyed in my pull request for your kind
review.

As my last merge from your repository was as far back as July 8th, please
don't hesitate to ask me for help with integrating our proposed updates.
Also, should you have any other questions or comments, please don't
hesitate to let me know.

Thanks a lot in advance, and yours sincerely,

  --alexander adolf