Re: [Research paper] Evaluation of HTML5 video implementations

From: Sangwhan Moon <smoon@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 12:31:50 +0900
To: Daniel Davis <ddavis@w3.org>
Cc: "public-web-and-tv@w3.org" <public-web-and-tv@w3.org>
On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Daniel Davis <ddavis@w3.org> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> It was good to see so many of you at our TPAC meeting last week.
>
> Here is something I thought should be shared - a technical paper on web
> video by three German researchers. It's an independent assessment of
> HTML5 video support focussing on event mechanisms and seeking accuracy:
>
> "A Comparative Evaluation of Current HTML5 Web Video Implementations"
> http://www.ronpub.com/publications/OJWT-v1i2n01_Hoernig.pdf
>
> It's good to see a peer-reviewed openly-available academic paper on this
> subject and I hope there will be more, leading to greater shared knowledge.

One thing that this paper doesn't seem to cover is hardware decoder backed
implementations (e.g. Opera for TV, Chromecast, etc) which tend to have a
different set of problems from the desktop product counterparts.

Chromium on desktop and Chromecast will most likely behave differently when
the tests here are done - even if they both are "Chrome". (And it wouldn't
surprise
me one bit if there were such problems in hardware decoder backed mobile
browsers
as well.)

--
Sangwhan Moon [Opera Software ASA]