Fwd: Proposed Charter: Second Screen Presentation Working Group (Call for Review)

All,

The AC review period for the proposed Second Screen Presentation Working
Group has started. I thought members of this group might be interested in
that work.

The Community Group has discussed three use-cases for a web site rendering
content on a second screen (e.g. a TV):
(1) the second screen is a simple display panel connected over HDMI,
Mirracast etc.
(2) the second screen runs a full web User Agent
(3) the second screen supports various native apps (e.g. YouTube, iPlayer,
Netflix ...)

In the first case, the device hosting the controlling (first screen) site
also hosts a second UA and the output of this is rendered on the second
screen.

In all three cases a message passing API is provided for communication
between the content on the two screens.

At Netflix, we had previously looked at using the Network Services
Discovery API to implement the third use-case. However, this API is not
receiving attention from UA implementors for (valid) security reasons.

Since the user experience for the three cases above is the same, it seems
natural that all three should be addressed with a common API.

The third use-case has attracted limited support in the CG, but I am
hopeful that the wider W3C community - and this group in particular - would
take the view that these use-cases should be addressed together.

All three are in scope of the draft charter, although this could be more
explicit. If you have an opinion on this issue, please let your AC rep
know, as I expect it will come up during the discussion.

...Mark