RE: Shared Motion - multi-device synchronization and media control for the Web.

I find this proposed solution and this topic in general to be very exciting with tremendous potential for greatly enhancing user experiences of all types with HTML5.

Over a year ago, I asked the HTML5 interest group if there were any plans to establish methods and standards within HTML5 for distributed temporal controls relating to various events, particularly media related. The response at the time was basically that temporal controls could be addressed with current facilities and JavaScript. I don’t recall that the MediaController functions were defined at that time.

Temporal controls, enabling broad distributed user experiences of all types, would need to:

·       Synchronize media, triggers, messaging and IO across:

o   Different apps on the same device

o   Different or the same app on different devices

o   Client apps and server apps in the cloud or elsewhere

o   Apps, servers and potentially could virtual network components

·       Be resistant to distance effects on timing

·       Handle temporal (e.g. linear) media and static media (e.g. images, web pages)

·       Be aware of and responsive to IO capabilities of all kinds (e.g. user inputs, m2m events, etc.)

·       Span service provider ecosystems

·       Be capable of integrating with intelligent controller functions

·       (Probably many more capabilities)

These kinds of capabilities can propel web-based user experiences (both locally and around the globe) from being trapped in a screen to being integral with real world environments in a natural way (or unnatural as requirements dictate.) They would further the ability of the digital user experience to merge seamlessly with the physical world. This would evolve the concept of Virtual Reality from its current confines to become an integrated Augmented Reality experience engine based on an HTML5 framework of digital entities.

This interest group is comprised of smart visionary people. Please embrace the potential of distributed temporal controls!

Thanks! And Happy New Year!

-Paul