From: Giuseppe Pascale [mailto:giuseppep@opera.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:46 AM
To: Gene Lian
Cc: HU, BIN; Jean-Charles (JC) Verdié; Alexander Futasz; mohammed dadas; Louay Bassbouss; Mark Vickers; Glenn Adams; Sung Hei Kim; Cyril Rickelton-Abdi; Gina Yeh; Marco Chen; Gary Chen; Evelyn Hung; public-web-and-tv; Daniel Davis (ddavis@w3.org); Kazuyuki Ashimura; SULLIVAN, BRYAN L
Subject: Re: Draft Charter of Proposed Channel Control API Community Group

+1 on the name change, TV control sounds good to me.

About the charter, it looks good, just few comments:

* although EPG type of apps is one of the use cases, I don't think is the only one. The "hybrid" scenario is also quite relevant (app that overlay/control the linear TV video). In other words is OK to list EPG in the "scope of work" but I would rephrase the introduction to be more generic e.g.

"The technology gap between web apps and native apps is rapidly narrowing. Web-based application controlling various TV channels with detailed information regarding TV programs is becoming a more and more main stream channel control application for the integrated video service. Furthermore in many regions TV broadcasters are developing web applications that can overlay their channel in an hybrid broadcast/broadband environment"

* About the API being agnostic to the underlying format, I assume it should be part of the discussion we will have in the group to clarify what we mean by agnostic. E.g. we could have a low level API which exposes metadata coming from the broadcast stream, but NOT standardize the actual metadata format (not in this group, I mean) or you could have a more high level API which describes various concepts in an abstract way (that then needs to be mapped on the various formats. I don't think the charter should exclude any approach at this point, although I feel it would be better to start with a low level API along the lines of HTML5 media API and consider any further extension as a second step

* (Bin) I think you can go ahead and start the CG right away (http://www.w3.org/community/groups/propose_cg/). During next call we can discuss how CG members intend to run the group, so we make sure everybody knows how to get involved.

/g