Re: Media Resource In-band Tracks Community Group Launched

Olivier,

I agree that it would have been good to discuss this in the IG first to inform everyone. I had to be away unexpectedly last week and didn't notice this. We can discuss it now, though. No work has started, as yet.

But I'm pretty confident that there's no conflict here at all. This Community Group (CG) is both distinct from and complementary to the Web & TV Interest Group (IG) in both purpose, focus and membership.

Purpose: The purpose of this CG is to draft a spec in the specific area of mapping external specs, like MPEG-TS, to HTML5 in-band media tracks. This cannot be done in the IG because IG's are forbidden by W3C rules from writing specs. IG's develop requirements. CG's are allowed to draft specs. (Note: The CG draft spec would need to go to a Working Group (WG) to become a W3C standard.)

Focus: The focus of the CG is narrowly on mapping external specs, like MPEG-TS, to HTML5 in-band media tracks, whereas the IG and specifically the Media APIs Task Force (TF) is much more broadly focused.

Membership: Note also that the CG, unlike the IG, allows for direct participation by non-W3C members, which should help with the CG focus on external specs.

I think the IG can work with this CG, as we do with other CGs and WGs. Specifically, the Media APIs TF could definitely write requirements in the area of mapping external specs to HTML5 in-band media tracks and the CG could turn those requirements into a draft spec. (Likely it could be the same people, in many cases!)

Thanks,
mav