From: "Peter Lasko"
To: "Peter Lasko"
Subject: TV Application Layer now Open Source
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 12:01:03 +0100

My name is Pete Lasko and I am a Product Manager at the BBC.

I am contacting you because you have either expressed an interest in the
TV Application Layer (TAL) or I think you will be interested in it.

What's happening?

The BBC has made the TV Application Layer Open Source to share it with the
wider industry.  The code and documentation are available via the open
source repository GitHub: -  http://fmtvp.github.com/tal/

Please see the documentation and FAQ (http://fmtvp.github.com/tal/faq) on
the site for more detailed information about how it works, how to use it,
or how to contribute.

This is not just a copy of our code.  This is the live, latest code that
we use to build and continually develop our Connected TV applications.

What is it?

TAL is a set of JavaScript Libraries that allow us to build TV
applications once and for this to then work across a wide range of
different connected TV, IPTV, games consoles, set top boxes and Blu-ray
devices in the market.  The TAL is today used for BBC iPlayer, News, Sport
and Connected Red Button and supports over a 100 different browser types.

TAL also contains some TV ready building blocks to enable reuse of
features we have developed for BBC iPlayer, News and Sport on TV.

Why are we doing this?

We are keen to encourage more application development in the Connected TV
sector.  We think TAL will help others who are also developing in this
area.

For more information see my blog post: -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/posts/Making-the-TV-Application-Layer-Open-Source

Please help us spread the word and make as many people aware of this as
possible.

@TALOpenSource

Thanks,

Pete Lasko

BBC Future Media
2nd Floor, BBC Dock House, MediaCityUK, Salford, M50 2LH

Product Manager TV & Connected Devices
Opera Software