From : "JC Verdié" <jc.verdie@mstarsemi.com>
Sent : 2013-06-10 17:29:15 ( +09:00 )
To : Sung Hei Kim <shkim@etri.re.kr>
Cc : public-web-and-tv@w3.org <public-web-and-tv@w3.org>, 현욱 <whyun@etri.re.kr>, 허미영 <myhuh@etri.re.kr>, 강신각 <sgkang@etri.re.kr>
Subject : Re: [apis] propose two use cases regarding tunner control and channel bounded applications

Dear Sung and Wook

Thanks a lot !

Some comments:
> 6. "Use Case Six – Tuner Control thru EPG Application"

> Subscriber configures the set-top box and installs a new web-application which provides more detailed EPG
> EPG is provided through TV broadcasting system and/or web-application

I'm not sure we should define how the EPG content is provided. It could come from broadcast data, from many broadcasters, from the operator, from EPG content provider...
[Sung/Wook] As you pointed out, I don't think we need to cover the EPG content/format, since this use case just
                    suggest the necessity of tuner handling in the web application that provide EPG information.
                    But as you have pointed out, the current text may cause some confusion.
                    We have changed the following line for clarification.
                    " EPG is provided through TV broadcasting system and/or web-application " --> " Web-application providing EPG is installed in the STB"

> Use Case:

> EPG application shows the list of TV programs and its related information such as channel number, producer, actors, synopsis, rate, duration length, etc.
> Unlike EPG from conventional TV broadcasting service, this application can provide more detailed information on the TV programming with more flexibility
> Subscriber navigates through the EPG and selects a program to watch.
> Application control the TV tuner to display the selected program in the web browser or web-based TV platform
> Channel ID can be expressed in form of a URI and TV stream can be imbedded to the web browser using the HTML5 video tag.

What happens if this is a channel the Client does not have access to (whether it's unavailable in its region, it's a paid tv he didn't subscribed to, ...). I appreciate that's probably a different use case to handle

[Sung/Wook] I think there are many ways to solve this.
                    For example, in such case, the STB does not have the key to unscamble that channel.
                    It may show a blur or blackout.
                    STB may shows a message telling the viewer that the pertaining channel is not subscribed to.
                    Anyway, I do not think the web application is aware of the subscription status of the viewer.
                    If the web application knows the subscription status, a difference use case can be defined.

> 7. "Use Case Seven – Channel Bounded Applications"

> STB launches channel bounded application that is specified in the AIT of the selected channel.

Most existing systems in this area give user the final decision about launching the application, typically by providing a non intrusive "red button"-ish experience, to avoid fullscreen app to pop up in front of a user unsollicited.

[Sung/Wook] You are right.
                   As shown in the last prerequisite <Subscriber configures the STB to show channel bounded application>,
                   the user has made the decision to launch the channel bounded application at this time.
                   In general,  channel bounded application tends to show both broadcasting contents and its related supplementary contents.
                   Of cource, if the user disable the channel bounded feature in the STB, the application would not be invoked.

> While the live football game stops for a break, the subscriber changes to different channel which shows a popular drama.
> The browser shows the popular drama along with list of the characters, title/singer of the OST in the current scene, brand name of the necklace shown, SNS, and other information as supplementary contents.
> The supplementary contents changes in accordance with the selected TV channel.
> The channel bounded applications are designed by the pertaining broadcast service operator or trusted third-party.

Do you mean the application has not quit when the user changed to a different channel ? Or did he switch to a new app?
I would recommend that an app is automatically closed when the user switches to a different channel, unless the broadcast signal explicitely approves such apps. Typically this is when the two channels belong to the same broadcasters and therefore they don't mind keeping the app on screen. But if you switch from a channel to another owned by a different broadcaster, they certainly don't want it to happen

[Sung/Wook] Agreed. That was our intension.
                   As with the channel of channel, channel bounded application is automatically closed.
                   This application is bounded not to broadcaster, but to channel.
                    For claification, how about adding a new sentence regarding the close of the application of previous channel.
                    "As the user change the channel, the channel bounded application of the previous channel is closed."
                    Also, we have change the sentence "The supplementary contents changes in accordance with the selected TV channel."
                    to "The channel bounded applications of the selected TV channel is launched for providing such supplementary contents." for clarification.

Regards
JC