Re: [tpac] draft minutes from the Web and TV IG f2f meeting at TPAC 2012 (was Re: Notes from today meeting)

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 10:21:33 +0100, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for this - very useful!

Thanks to you for taking the time to read and comment!
More in general, during the next months, we will try to collect few use
cases and then ping various WGs to get some help to clarify what is
already possible and what is not.
I'll not go now into the details but only one quick question inline:

>> Synchronization of Web and TV content
>>
>>    [52]Sheau's slides
>>
>>      [52]
>> http://www.w3.org/2012/10/29-webtv-slides/Hybrid-Media-Synchronization--W3C-TPAC-Oct-29-2012.pptx
>>
>>    sheau: shows slides
>>    ... Web&TV Media Synchronization
>>    ... multiple platform: broadcast, mobile, internet, etc.
>>    ... hybridization of media
>>    ... different component media travels over different
>>    distribution technology
>>    ... loosely coupled
>>    ... synchronization between these components is needed
>>    ... Use cases
>>    ... single client, multiple client, multi-client dynamically
>>    switch delivery technology
>>    ... who initiates the switch?
>>    ... any mechanism?
>>    ... Under development
>>    ... digital fingerprint as ACR (Automatic Content Recognition)
>
> About Synchronization: have you see popcorn?
>They were even on TED recently:
> http://blog.ted.com/2012/10/19/meet-popcorn-maker-beau-lotto/
>
> Also, are you aware that there are already means to synchronize
> separate media elements with each other through the @mediagroup
> attribute. That should get you lipsync:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/media-elements.html#attr-media-mediagroup

I believe I mentioned media group (at least offline) but one of the use
cases presented by Sheau was to synchronize mediaplayback across different
devices in the home,
example you are watching a sport event on your main screen and you want
alternative camera angles on your tablet, or you are watching a commercial
and you want alternative content (still related to the commercial) on your
tablet. For some use cases, frame accuracy was required.

This is something I believe html have no support for. On the other end I'm
not sure if html can do anything about this, since this real time
synchronization probably needs to be handled by the platform. But maybe
there should be a mechanism to initiate/terminate this kind of "real time"
synchronization from the browser? I'm not sure about the answer, and one
of the goal of this group will be to expand on the initial discussion we
had on monday and then contact relevant groups to get some feedback.

/g

>> Accessibility/Subtitles/Captioning
>>
>>    olivier: languages for the Web
>>    ... TTML is a W3C REC
>>    ... a new WG has been created for a new version
>>    ... a CG looking at WebVTT
>>    ... this group could be quite key input on how to deal with
>>    number of scenarios
>>    ... industry has to say something
>>
>>    markV: we get content coming in
>>    ... standardization using TTTML vs. WebVTT
>>    ... is there any good semantic mapping
>>
>>    olivier: there is some work
>>    ... at least provider-based
>>
>>    dsinger: think so
>>
>>    giuseppe: what can we do?
>>    ... you're charing WebVTT, Dave?
>>
>>    dsinger: yes
>>    ... useful if this IG could review the draft
>>
>>    s/draft/WebVTT draft/
>>
>>    <olivier> Silvia Pfeiffer has a blog post working on the
>>    mapping
>
> Not a blog post, but a proposed spec:
>
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/text-tracks/raw-file/default/608toVTT/608toVTT.html
>
> This is not for TTML - WebVTT comparison, but rather to explain how to
> use CEA608/708 features in WebVTT.
>
>>    markV: JavaScript API?
>>
>>    dsinger: TTML has a lot of features
>>
>>    <olivier> (I assume what David was mentioning is
>>    [53]http://www.w3.org/community/texttracks/wiki/608_to_WebVTT )
>>
>>      [53] http://www.w3.org/community/texttracks/wiki/608_to_WebVTT
>
> The above link is more up-to-date.
>

>>    <dsinger> yes
>>
>>    giuseppe: Goals: Identify which profile of TTML people are
>>    using and feed it into the Text Track WG
>>
>>    pierre: there are already large body of TTML users
>>    ... on the other hand, WebVTT is getting energy
>>
>>    giuseppe: (add "follow the effort in mapping between the TTML
>>    and WebVTT")
>>
>>    <olivier> s/708/608/ in Giuseppe's slides
>>
>>    giuseppe: check 608 to WebVTT mapping document from Sylvia
>>    ... collect the different TTML/SMPTE-TT based specs used by the
>>    industry into the TT group
>>    ... Should we create a TF?: Yes
>>
>>    masahito: what about FCC?
>>
>>    pierre: SMPTE
>>
>>    markV: we have a governmental requirement
>>
>>    masahito: not Web in general
>>    ... broadcast related issue
>>    ... also related to Web accessibility?
>>
>>    pierre: TTML group?
>>
>>    markV: Text Track WG
>>
>>    pierre: WebVTT?
>>
>>    s/Text Track/Timed Text/
>>
>>    dsinger: Text Track CG
>
> This can be found here:
>
> http://www.w3.org/community/texttracks/
>

>>    giuseppe: (moved "Try to define..." right after "Collect...")
>>
>>    giuseppe: who should handle this?
>>
>>    pierre: will do
>>
>>    giuseppe: Chair: Pierre Lemieux
>>

> Best Regards,