Re: [profile] Profile spec title

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 12:13:33 +0100, Masahito Kawamori
<masahito.kawamori@ties.itu.int> wrote:

> Thanks, Scott
>
> Taking also into account Mr Dewa's point, and rather than just
> singling out a CE device, may be we can talk about  a resource limited
> device?
>
> Then combining Giuseppe's original two proposals with the above
> discussion, how would the following sound?:
>
> 3.  "Web and TV profile"
>     - Guidelines for integration of web technologies for
> resource-limited devices in a browser-based environment --
>
> (It is a mechanical combination and permutation of the terms mentioned
> so far. We may need to seriously check the semantics of these phrases)

Maybe we should take one step back as suggested by John and make sure we
agree on the scope of this work.
While resource limited devices are for sure on of the main targets, there
is a "functional" part of the profile that is applicable to all kind of
devices.

As I see it we have the following main components:
1. performance based profile: how to measure performances of some
technologies (e.g. CSS animations) and how to profile out support for such
technologies based on a minimal performance requirement.
2. content adaptation: which technologies needs to be supported in order
to enable applications that can easily self adapt to the widest range of
devices (tablets, PCs, TVs, Blueray discs, etc). This cover thing like CSS
media queries but also discussion about different input paradigms (remote
control, pointer based, touch)
3. Formats: are there widely adopted formats (for video, audio, images)
that you would need to support to be interoperable?
4. Protocols and platform capabilities: I do I get access to the needed
information from the underlying protocols (and do I need to get access to
them?). This covers things like adaptive streaming, drm, metadata
associated with the stream.

So in short I think we have 50% performance related requirements (so
mostly valid for ce devices) and 50% functional requirements (applicable
to all devices)

Is there any agreement that this is the scope? If so, is this well
refelected in the current draft (and if not, what should we change?
I think the following section would benefit from people review:

Design Goals
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webtv/raw-file/tip/tvprofile/tv.html#design-goals

Scope
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webtv/raw-file/tip/tvprofile/tv.html#scope

Given the variety of opinions, I still think the provisional
title+subtitle we have now is good.
The only alternative to "TV" I can come up with to reflect our community
is "Commercial Video Services".
But I think that making it clear in the text (rather than in the title)
would be enough.

/g

TV & Connected Devices
Opera Software