Re: W3C Web and TV Interest Group - Hello from Accessible Media Inc. (AMI)

Robert,
thanks for your detailed explanation
and Silvia for you interest.

Please stay tuned on this list; we will continue the discussion on this
topic and the possibility to start a TF on it right after the IG F2F next
week

Regards,
/g

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 03:31:02 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a member of the HTML5 accessibility task force media subgroup
> which has focused on developing accessibility features for audio and
> video in HTML5. I will actually be attending the Web and TV workshop
> and will talk in particular about the captioning features we
> introduced. I would also be keen to have a broader discussion about
> other a11y features and what new requirements may be considered from a
> Web and TV perspective.
>
> You can try seeking me out at the workshop - I'd be keen on any
> discussions.
>
> Cheers,
> Silvia.
>
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 6:33 AM, Robert Pearson <robert.pearson@ami.ca>
> wrote:
>> Hello Giuseppe,
>>
>> Good to meet you and I look forward to meeting other members in the
>> group as well.
>>
>> I have done similar analyses in the past in terms of what web
>> technologies are missing in order to be accessible in the context of
>> Web and TV.  My background has been specifically accessibility over the
>> last ten years, working in this area since the launch of the W3C WAI
>> guidelines in 1999, with which I've worked extensively.  Prior to my
>> role at AMI I've worked with various levels of government and financial
>> organizations in accessibility development, training and standards
>> formation and these continue to be all aspects of what I'm focused on
>> at AMI in the context of Web and TV.  We work closely with broadcasting
>> organizations within Canada, but also internationally in the area of
>> ensuring broad media accessibility.  We'd be very interested in
>> assisting with the creation of a new taskforce within the group to
>> develop some concrete proposals.  For example, I can tell you that one
>> area we are focused upon at the moment is the development of effective
>> and accessible player controls so that assistive technologies may be
>> able to browse without any hinderance.
>>
>> We look forward to continuing the discussion with everyone.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> ROBERT PEARSON
>> DIRECTOR, ACCESSIBLE DIGITAL MEDIA
>> direct: 647 729 3917
>> toll free: 1 800 567 6755
>> 1090 Don Mills Road, Suite 200
>> Toronto, ON M3C 3R6
>> www.ami.ca

>>> from leading newspapers and magazines, which are broadcast on TV and