RE: [MEDIA_PIPELINE_TF] Minutes teleconference call 2011-10-06

Hi all,

Might I ask a question or give my opinion regarding R6?
According to the meeting minutes, Adaptive bitrate format is dropped out.
Does it mean we no more discuss on the format, so called manifest? I'm
confused that dropping off is equivalent to there being no discussion
anymore on this. we don't have to start from the scratch as some candidate
formats are available outside W3C, for example, the famous DASH, and even
some proprietary solutions. we can adapt video tag to support adaptive
streaming without making new one.
I guess some discussion is necessary such as what technology will be the
main framework of video tag extension. Manifest could be represented by xml
format or JavaScript friendly JSON or whatever. To what extent the manifest
should support is also a good discussion topic.

What we want to achieve here in W3C is to have browser based single
streaming solution that is available to TV platform. The keyword here is
browser and single. From the standpoint of TV manufacturers and content
owners, we need single solution because we are strayed among too many
seemingly same solutions.

As a start, it does not necessarily to have complicated use cases. Starting
from the very small, very fundamental thing is reasonable. For example,
free VOD content will be a good starting point. After successful migration
from normal video tag to adaptive streaming video tag, we can add more rich
features to the media.

Can I hear from other's viewpoint? I would like to listen to other's
opinion as much as possible.

Best regards,
HJ