From: Vickers, Mark [Mark_Vickers@cable.comcast.com]
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 10:23 AM
To: Giuseppe Pascale; Russell Berkoff
Cc: public-web-and-tv@w3.org WG; Robin Berjon
Subject: Re: [hntf] Summary of the joint session on Device discovery

I'm very supportive of the joint discussion between the three efforts: CableLabs/Opera, Webinos and Web Intents for several reasons:
- While the three APIs are not at all the same, there are indeed overlaps in functionality between the efforts
- Even if these don't end up the same API, it makes sense for a consistent web API to have them all designed in a similar manner.
- Browser vendors and other W3C members have voiced a number of concerns about home network discovery APIs, including security, fingerprinting, and web app model. We need to go into this process with an open ear to these concerns and an open mind to new approaches. This is the best way to get these APIs adopted in products.

I expect we'll have a similar set of issues any time IG requirements transition to a WG API effort.

Thanks,
mav