RE: FW: [HOME_NETWORK_TF] Use Cases for UPnP/DLNA

This may be a matter of perspective and terminology. I definitely agree with Russell that whatever we do must work with existing UPnP/DLNA devices. Working with existing devices is the whole point. However, I think it must be flexible enough that it also works with other existing and emerging device networks (e.g. Bonjour, Bluetooth, etc.)

-Clarke

From: public-web-and-tv-request@w3.org [mailto:public-web-and-tv-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Russell Berkoff
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:11 AM
To: public-web-and-tv@w3.org
Cc: Giuseppe Pascale; Kazuyuki Ashimura
Subject: RE: FW: [HOME_NETWORK_TF] Use Cases for UPnP/DLNA

Hello,

We consider support of (unmodified) UPnP/DLNA devices a requirement rather than a possible implementation approach.

I dont necessarily wish to preclude other solutions that may provide new/additional functionality, however many UPnP/DLNA devices are already deployed in the eco-system and our expectation is that these devices will work within any proposed HNTF framework.

Regards,
Russell Berkoff
Samsung