Re: Standardize Buttons For TV-Web Remotes?

Hi, Glenn-

Glenn Adams wrote (on 5/25/11 12:20 AM):
> Thanks, this looks good. My only remaining concern is in regards to
> implementation defined key values. The definition:
>
> [[
> If there is no appropriate key value in the key values set, then a key
> value must be devised. The key value should be as human friendly as
> possible and must not contain whitespace characters. The value must be
> composed only of characters in the ranges \u0030..\u0039,
> \u0041..\u005A, or \u0061..\u007A, and must begin with a character in
> the range \u0041..\u005A.
> ]]
>
> is not adequate to prevent name collisions between custom definitions.
> Some normative convention is needed to prevent collisions.

What conflicts do you anticipate?

Even if there are keys on different devices that have the same values,
webapps can still interpret the pressing of those keys in whatever way
works best for that application; this is the intent of the key value
feature.

The main goal of listing key values explicitly is to promote
convergence, not to differentiate between implementations.  I am very
reluctant to add a convention that promotes the proliferation, rather
than reduction and coordination, of new key values.  While such things
are useful for certain types of extensions (new events, for example), I
don't think they will be useful in this case, because they aren't
associated with functionality exposed to webapps... they are only the
indication that a particular button or key was pressed, and don't
trigger any specific webapp feature (other than what the webapp itself
"assigns" to that key value, via script).

In any case, I believe that this is a comment that could be addressed in
Last Call, because it does not introduce any normative changes to
implementations.  Unless you see this as an issue that blocks us moving
to Last Call, I believe the most prudent course of action is for us to
do so.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, WebApps, and Web Events WGs