Re: preliminary study towards design Best Practices

On May 19, 2011, at 9:45 PM, Charlie Harding <charding@google.com> wrote:

> Jeff, this is a wonderful report. If its ok with you, I'd like to share it with my
> UX/UI team for them to make comments. I'm sure that they'll have better
> insight than I do.

absolutely no problem...
and I'll be collating/merging this with
the findings of the 2nd & less-formal group
this coming week

> But overall the report is very thorough, confirms many of our design decisions, and brings up new issues. I'd be really interested to see this study expanded.

me too ;^}
it has some flaws
[low sample-size, imbalance of genders & SES, etc]
but it is a good start as an exploratory study

one finding of both the groups
which surprised us a bit
(& did not make it into
 the formal study's design
 I am afraid)
was the huge impact that
just increasing line-spacing had
on comfort and comprehension

I want to find a way to expand this work
and make a 'real' (decent sample-size etc) followup happen

I'll probably be in the Bay Area for my usual
Summer Left Coast trip in late June or early July
so if your team is interested in getting together for a f2f chat
I'm sure we can work something out...
feedback from your folks
on areas where we can do useful research
would be great

commencement tomorrow
then just a few end-of-year agonizing meetings to go
and I am free at last
[cue cheering mob, stage left]
 ;^}

take care
and tty soon

jeffs

--
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model