Re: DAP rechartering discussion

Would the Device And Policy APIs WG (DAP) be interested in looking at APIs
not just within the device itself (for accessing on-board device
functions) but also defining web style APIs between devices?

My personal belief is that the strengths of the TV is as a primary (though
not exclusively!) shared and "lean-back" experience. I think it makes
sense to put in place the means to allow web applications on other devices
to interact with the TV. A lot of the functions/user-experience that might
traditionally be considered the domain of an on-screen "widget" could be
migrated off the TV screen to more powerful and easier to interact with
device, but without losing that connection to the TV content.

Our "Universal Control" API work, in the BBC, makes the functionality of
the TV queryable and controllable via a high level data model that tries
to abstract away from device and service implementation specifics. Its a
RESTful web based API intended to be served by the TV (or set-top-box)
itself. We'd hope our work so far could be a useful kick start for work in
this area. Components of such an API could be generalised and be useful
for other classes of devices.

My colleague Olivier posted a few details (including links to our spec
docs) just a few days ago:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-and-tv/2011Mar/0013.html

Could this kind of area be a logical and productive progression for DAP's
mission?

Matt