Re: New Task Force Proposal in W3C Web & TV IG (Media Pipeline Task Force)

Clarke, all,

I think a new Task Force is a good idea and would like to participate.  The scope could be a little narrower (and the task force name is kind-of vague - it could mean a lot of things).

The scope mentions "new media formats". What is meant here ? New compared to what ?

I think what we should target is explicitly the enhancements to the HTML media element API to support commercial service provider requirements. I don't think the enhancements should be driven by specific existing technologies (such as MPEG2 TS), but rather by the underlying feature requirements. This is a subtle distinction, but it will require us understand the service rationale for our proposals which will serve us well when arguing for them in the HTML WG. I have a suspicion that arguments of the form "We need this indicator from MPEG2 in HTML" will have less success than arguments of the form "This feature is widely available in TVs and should be available on the web platform too".

"User agent content splicing" - Can you expand what you mean ?
"Browser handling of dynamic tracks in linear media streams of infinite length" - add, "for example" before the word "in". And I guess "infinite length" should be "indefinite duration". (We do not know if time itself is infinite or not, so I doubt there are any infinite media steams).
"Enhancements to metadata track elements to support commercial video provider applications": I think you presume too much about the solution by explicitly mentioning enhancement of metadata track elements (which specifically means the HTML <track> element with kind metdata). The solution may involve those, but it's not obvious they the element itself needs to be enhanced.

I'd suggest adding "Statistics and metrics on media streaming performance".

...Mark