RE: [MEDIA_PIPELINE_TF] Adaptive Bit Rate Architectur

Hi all,

Having discussed the options internally and given some more thought to the options on the table I have some reservations about the method 3:

-          An HTML5 media player on a device may only support certain profiles and levels of a codec (for MPEG-4 Part 10  see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Profiles and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels). When parsing a manifest, it may not declare what profiles and levels of a codec are being used in each stream. These are possibly defined within an initialisation segment, but then how do we envisage providing the initialisation segments to the media player?

-          Where playback of two streams defined in the manifest is possible by the HTML5 media player it still may not be able to switch between these seamlessly. If the javascript application is unable to determine this then it may make undesirable choices. Examples of challenging switches we¡¯ve been told may not be seamless on some players are: switching between interlaced and progressive and switching frame rates.

-          If you want to skip around in the media or start playback of the media from some point in the stream, then setting the media pipeline up again becomes very difficult. For instance, if you wish to skip to 45 minutes in, do you wait until everything is loaded and you can play from there, or do you skip the intervening segments?  If you do, what happens if you then need to seek backwards?

Given the short time we still have, I can¡¯t see us coming up with a solution for these problems, so I suggest to focus solely on method 1.

Duncan