Re: Interactive Television

Hi Adam,

I agree that this could be an interesting extension to the UI for
videos. However, I do not believe that HTML5 is ready for this yet.
Here's the reasoning: There are not many (if any) Flash players that
expose such a UI and Flash video has been around for many years now.
So, when looking at what the real world use case for video controls
is, we will likely end up having to say that most controls do not
contain such functionality. Thus, it does not meet the requirements
for inclusion in HTML, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/html-design-principles/ in particular 3.1 "Real
Problems".

I believe personally that the best way to get such a feature is by
showing its use on actual sites and how it solves real problems to
users. Doing this in JavaScript first is probably the best way
forward. This will likely also help in developing good designs for the
layout of the controls.

Best Regards,
Silvia.