RE: Interactive Television

Bob,

Sounds good.  I've made up my mind about both XML and JSON being useful to have in a comprehensive general purpose <track/>; that's what I intended to indicate.  I think that both XML and JSON can be of use to web developers.

The described syntax on <track/> and events on TextTrack can be also implemented as a callback for TextTrack's onload that iterates setting a callback on each TextTrackCue's onenter and onexit, or a function that also iterates each with a callback.  The indicated syntax of something like "<video ...><track kind="metadata" type="xml/temporal" onplayheadenter="callback1" onplayheadexit="callback2" src="file.xml"/></video>" resembles per track events functionally equivalent to adding callbacks to each TextTrackCue's onenter and onexit.  Without regard to the syntax, for example {onplayheadenter, onplayheadexit}, {onentercue, onexitcue} or {onenter, onexit}, the premise is that events can exist on TextTrack that are equivalent to adding callbacks to each TextTrackCue's events.  Implementationally, a JavaScript function might receive and handle data from each cue identically, or a set of functions might map to cues.  One use case for track events, which, again, map to the track's cue's events, is for scenarios where streaming tracks might exist.

Kind regards,

Adam