Re: [MEDIA_PIPELINE_TF] ISSUE-34: ViewPort-Support

On 10 Aug 2011, at 10:46, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Cyril Concolato
> <cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:
>> Hi Sylvia,
>>
>> Le 10/08/2011 02:38, Silvia Pfeiffer a écrit :
>>>
>>> I wonder if instead it might be worth analysing if we can come up with
>>> a<track>  kind that allows overlaying hyperlinkable regions onto the
>>> video?
>>
>> Why wouldn't it be possible to have a track element point to some animated
>> SVG file?
>
> The <track> element points to timed text, i.e. to a file that provides
> text fragments along the timeline of the video. SVG is not suitable
> for that use. Just like you cannot put a SVG into a <audio> or <video>
> element, you won't be able to put a SVG into a <track> element.
>
> However, we can e.g. create a WebVTT file with data in the cues that
> point to SVG files or whatever else we want to time-align with the
> video and link that in the <track> @src with @kind=metadata.

Right, so we would need a WebVTT cue node type for such a link to the SVG or whatever. Maybe a HTML <a> or <link> tag.

However I think a major point of WebVTT is it is simple to create and to parse tracks, which is why it has such a restricted document model, so we should be parsimonious in extending the spec.