Re: [HOME_NETWORK_TF] Some use cases and requirements for broadcast TV applications

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 22:37:42 +0200, Bob Lund <B.Lund@cablelabs.com> wrote:

>> Another way of looking at this use case
>> is: two documents discovering and communicating with each other. I think
>> this is Matt's n°4.
>
> Disagree with the generalization. The term "document" is being used in a
> manner synonymous with a web page. I think a general mechanism to allow
> web pages to discover and communicate with one another is out of scope.

Why should we exclude this? It seems to me that is a perfectly valid use
case for second screen scenarios; for example I imagine a user interface
that is "split" the main aplication running on the TV (e.g. a media
library) and an "extensions" of that interface on a companion device (e.g.
a smartphone) for example to control navigation inside the main UI, enter
text, control playout and so on. Having a generic communication channel
between these 2 applications would allow to avoid defining each and every
iteration pattern and foster innovation in this area.

Furthermore, once we have discovery and pairing of 2 devices, it seems to
me we already have what's needed. The direct communication could be just
on of the possible "message exchange" mechanism and could be probably be
implemented with existing technologies (web sockets?)

TV & Connected Devices
Opera Software - Sweden