Re: IG charter: status and schedule

Hi Charles, Hi Jan

Just my two cents.

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 3:44 AM, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:18:51 -0400, Jan Lindquist <
> jan.lindquist@ericsson.com> wrote:
>
>  ... Based on some of the discussions at workshop I suggest that one of the
>> initial scopes is to identify the main use cases related to "web on TV".
>> Proposed rewording of first bullet:
>>

>> - Identify the important use cases to be worked on by the "web on TV" IG.
>>

> The IG should be identifying use cases and requirements. The work of fixing
> HTML, or making new APIs, or whatever is required, belongs in existing or
> new working groups, not the IG.
>

>  I am missing a bullet to evaluate the alternatives for the use cases. The
>> 2nd bullet jumps directly to the different W3C groups. After evaluation one
>> can go into the different W3C groups or external groups.
>>

> That was deliberate. Evaluating the alternatives - selecting a solution and
> developing it - is something that should be done in a Working Group, not in
> the Interest Group.

This point about "selecting a solution and developing it - is something that
should be done in a Working Group, not in the Interest Group"

and

>  Rewording of 4th bullet:
>>

>> - Exchange information with other standard forums which may have worked on
>> similar use cases.
>>
>  Makes sense to me. I would add an explicit note to say that where there is
> consensus that existing work done in a different organisation is the most
> appropriate solution, it should reference that work rather than duplicate
> it.

this point about  " it should reference that work rather than duplicate it",
seem to conflict, if the 'it' refers to "IG", which I assume it does. How
can an IG, whose charter does not include "selecting a solution and
developing it" decide that a different organisation has 'the' most
appropriate solution? Should not it be the work of other WGs? And the
charter of this IG cannot mandate what other WGs do.

Though this point expresses a sound principle, which many SDOs refer to by
the metaphoric phrase "not reinventing the wheel", it should be up to the
other WGs to decide, not this IG, if the previous principle - "selecting a
solution and developing it - is something that should be done in a Working
Group, not in the Interest Group"- is valid.

Cheers

Kawamori