Project Falcon Introduction

Thanks Wendy for the opportunity to present Project Falcon to the group this Tuesday, 17 August, 11am Eastern (1500 UTC).

Hi everyone on this email list. We're excited to join you and to introduce an idea for a new public commons, a potential sibling to the DNS. It's called CNS (Consent Name System), and the project has been dubbed Project Falcon. Per Wendy's request below, we're sharing a little info ahead of the meeting.

This effort will soon enter its 3rd generation of working group effort. We already have a sandbox for affiliates and the underlying technology has been vetted in many foundry sprints and PoC's for all purposes, from transactional, like for advertising, all the way to very large Big Data map reductions. It has also been peer-reviewed by several other groups. We wanted this to be sound before bringing it to your illustrious group for consideration.

The tech spec has already been published in the public domain at ip.com, and the working document is available here: https://tinyURL.com/falconCNS - you will find a link on the first page to a 1 hour lunch-and-learn from last fall covering a solid introduction in meeting form.

As a one-pager overview,

Cookies are going away. Privacy Regulations are increasing and tightening. Businesses in all sectors (not just ad tech) are feeling pressure to grow revenue from secondary uses of data, all while consumers are growing increasingly upset by perceptions of data exploitation.

As new innovations and solutions are being defined, they are starting their documents with a list of assumptions that unnecessarily straightjacket imagination. These include:

*       Consumers can't know what 3rd Parties are using data,

*       solutions can't adhere to all regulations,

*       we can't support asynchronous Identity,

*       stored data can't be used the same as transactional data,

*       frequency capping is impossible

And there are more.

We start with the premise that Information Rights define the abilities to use information as a scarce resource with competing rights. It can be defined in sentence form. The Subject (a Person, Place OR Thing) which relates to a Predicate (Organization, Program [legal use of data], AND Jurisdiction). As a constraint for this proposal, we will treat it as the subject (OR) must be singular and the predicate (AND) must contain at least one of all three elements.

While a great deal of logic and circumstance can go into whether or not an enterprise can use data for a particular purpose in a particular jurisdiction (legal nexus) for a particular subject, it ultimately results in a binary conclusion of yes or no, or in computer-speak, 1 or 0.

Project Falcon gets at this by first combining two of the predicate items: organizations (businesses) and programs form a 2D grid of rows and columns. Then we replicate that entire grid and assign a copy to each jurisdiction and set default values for the master row. This forms a bitmap (hypercube) that can be lazy-provisioned based upon an addressable request for any subject.

Let's say your company is ACME and you want to know if you can use data you collected per your own privacy policy from susan@somemail.co<mailto:susan@somemail.co> for targeted advertising. Your lawyers have determined that you need to adhere to CCPA, GDPR, and US74 regulations. You would put all that information into a standard request to the CNS and get back a 1 or a 0 as an "AND" function on the bitmap (very fast!). If the CNS had never heard of this subject, it would lazy-provision only the intersections of the bitmap necessary to respond. In this way, the hypercube for this subject grows over time as a sparce bitmap. The net result is an answer you can act upon every time regardless of user flow timing.

In short, if you can't get to a business's website without going through the DNS, they should have a CNS to determine if they can use the data you generate there.

We look forward to presenting this and fielding your questions Tuesday. Please feel free to write me ahead with any questions, comments or rude remarks.

Cheers!

=Jay

[cid:image001.png@01D791E2.7B835540]
J. Oliver Glasgow Founding Partner