Re: [BULK][web-adv] minutes and next meeting, 26 May

Hello Web Advertising BG,

As last week was packed with interesting topics, we propose to keep the three topics below for this week. Also as discussed, please find the github issues related to these:

  *   Privacy Sandbox Design Rules
In order to improve the different privacy sandbox proposals, we would like to know more on what is acceptable for the group, and more particularly on what standards TURTLEDOVE privacy has been designed (usage of differential privacy, cohort size, minimum aggregation levels, etc)
     *   https://github.com/csharrison/aggregate-reporting-api/issues/12

  *   Accountability VERSUS or WITH Privacy?
Proposals like TURTLEDOVE guarantee privacy by drastically restraining reporting capabilities, which do remove audit capabilities that allow to establish accountability (who did which ad, etc) and responsibility (with all the consequences that could derive from any wrong doing) between the different actors of the supply chain (advertiser, DSP, SSP, publisher, user). We believe that it is key that we keep ways to maintain this accountability as one of the objectives.
     *   https://github.com/michaelkleber/turtledove/issues/30

     *   https://github.com/csharrison/aggregate-reporting-api/issues/8

     *   https://github.com/BasileLeparmentier/SPARROW/issues/5

  *   Keeping Marketing Strategies Private
Having the bidding function, auction logic and ad bundles loaded in the browser could allow Advertiser A to have access to Advertiser’s B full strategy, and potentially even reverse-engineer proprietary audience segmentations. Marketing Strategies are a direct consequence of goods stocks, partnership with brands, level of margin, etc. Several retailers did raise this point to us as a massive issue for them, which would result in lower spend levels. Moving the logic server side do solve this issue, but we are curious to see what Chrome team has in mind for a browser-side, private implementation of marketing strategies.
     *   https://github.com/michaelkleber/turtledove/issues/32

Best
Arnaud

In light of the several constructive discussions that happened on SPARROW and TURTLEDOVE pages, we’d like to add three items to tomorrow’s agenda:

[...]

We know the agenda is crammed with very interesting topics already, but we feel these are important to raise and discuss during the call, as not everyone is necessarily following what is happening in the intricacies of the different github pages. Obviously the sooner the better, but we’re happy to fill the queue and potentially discuss these items next week.

Best
Arnaud