Re: WABG scope clarification

Hi Alan,

While recent meetings have been more focused on remarketing proposals such
as TURTLEDOVE and SPARROW, there have been extensive discussions on other
use cases and associated proposals over the last year including many
different types of measurement, interest based advertising, and combating
ad fraud. These are all use cases that the group has felt were (1)
important to the web and (2) in danger because of the end of cross-site
tracking.

As there have been a lot of new members joining the group in recent months
and the agenda is open to anyone in the group to set, it certainly is
possible to suggest discussing some of these use cases and proposals that
may have been discussed before (and you can check out prior discussions in
the minutes).

As Wendy described in this thread, the business group is a “forum for
industry participants to share use cases and needs from the web platform.”
Certainly Chrome has shared a number of proposals in this group over the
last year which has probably resulted in a more focused discussion on those
approaches. However Chrome thinks that more proposals make for a healthier
discussion and exploration of these use cases and needs. It’s been great to
see the proposals from participants such as Facebook and Criteo for example.

While it certainly may seem like Chrome is the frequent speaker in the
meeting, the business group has regularly had attendance from Safari and
Edge and it is always good to hear their input on the use cases and the
need to support a healthy web ecosystem.

Regards,
Marshall

--
Marshall Vale