From: Marshall Vale <mjv@google.com>
Sent: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 14:00:19 -0400
To: public-web-adv@w3.org
Subject: Re: Request to delay 3P Cookies Phase Out

Hi all--

We appreciate you raising this issue. We're closely monitoring developments
around COVID-19 and the impact it's having on our partners in the web
ecosystem. These are uncertain and challenging times for everyone, and
we're committed to supporting the larger web community throughout this.

We believe that at this point, a discussion around adjusting timelines is
premature. We are confident that with continued iteration and feedback,
privacy-preserving and open-standard mechanisms like the Privacy Sandbox
can sustain a healthy, ad-supported web in a way that will render
third-party cookies obsolete. As you know, we've committed to only phasing
out support for third party cookies once the needs of users and sites
(including publishers and advertisers) are addressed. We've said that we
can't reach this point alone, and need the entire ecosystem to engage on
these proposals, and that plan hasn't changed.

At this time, we can't know in what ways or for how long COVID-19 will
impact the web ecosystem's ability to experiment with these new mechanisms,
test whether they work well in various situations, and develop supporting
implementations. We will of course continue to revisit this topic as the
situation evolves.

Regards,
Marshall
--