Re: [web-adv agenda] 11 July Web Advertising BG call

Hi Phil,

We have meant all of the above at various points in time.  Some of the
senses have been deferred as we explored the current subject thread.
The senses that are top-of-mind for me at least:
WebPackages https://github.com/WICG/webpackage
WebPack https://webpack.js.org/
MRAID
https://www.iab.com/guidelines/mobile-rich-media-ad-interface-definitions-mraid/
SafeFrame https://www.iab.com/guidelines/safeframe/
Friendly Iframe, etc.
VAST https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Ad_Serving_Template
and many more.

In ads, the pretty-picture part is usually called "the creative" but these
things come with other machinery to measure that they were delivered, were
visible for a time period and so forth (yet more telemetry). The question
of "the safety" of these things is always at hand and there are great
systems in place to sniff and test and warn when they start delivering
badness out to th eaudience.  Presently the "ads api" is a sprawl of
proprietary practices and string substitution policies which barely
constitutes an interface. It is an aspiration to "clean that up" in the
same way that the <video> and <audio> tags did that for the bad old world
of embedded Flash players which were used to formalize an interface to the
richer media types. It is somewhere deep on our group's interest stack at
this point to address that use case: how to better (more cogently,
performantly, safely) provide "the creative" out to the media performance
device so that it can be shown.  We had deferred discussing the
requirements for improvements there to address the "and how shall we count
them" use case.

Perhaps you intended one of these senses or something else entirely.

It feels like we are beginning to develop several tracks for the discussion
at our F2F in October.  This is good.