From: David MacDonald [mailto:david100@sympatico.ca]
Sent: 15 January 2013 02:41
To: 'Loïc Martínez Normand'; public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org
Subject: RE: My action on comment LC-2665

Ps, made correction, that's "many of" not "many if"

-----
I'm not so sure I'd be willing to provide a letter that has the tone of a disclaimer. I think the disclaimer is helpful to our front matter, but not so much as a response to an comment that basically lists 45 things that it presents as not covered, when many of these items are covered quite well... I don't want to give the public impression these things are not covered in WCAG when in fact many are:

How about a hybrid like this...

------------------start hybrid proposal ------

We agree that these are important.  Most of these involve information that is provided to viewers.  The WCAG guidelines individually and collectively require that all information that is presented be available in different forms directly, or through AT. Many of the items in this list would appear to be covered.

Closed systems or closed functionality would not be covered.  As a result, we are going to have a specific section in the introduction that discusses closed functionality and how to handle them since "programmatic determinability" won't work if assistive technologies cannot be used.

This document provides informative guidance with regard to the interpretation and application of WCAG 2.0 to non-Web documents and software. WCAG is a standard for Web content accessibility, and it does not deal with such things as hardware aspects of products, closed products and requirements for non-user interface aspects of platforms, nor individual components.

For this reason, this document is not sufficient by itself to ensure accessibility in non-Web documents and software. Addressing accessibility for non-Web documents and software may involve provisions beyond those included in this document. Authors and developers are encouraged to seek relevant advice about current best practices to ensure that non-Web documents and software are accessible, as far as possible, to people with disabilities.

----------- end proposal ---------

Cheers
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.
  Adapting the web to all users
            Including those with disabilities
www.Can-Adapt.com<http://www.can-adapt.com/>

I've completed my action to write a new proposed resolution for comment LC-2665. The new text has been uploaded into the comment tracker system (https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/35422/WD-wcag2ict-20120727/2665), and is also copied here for your convenience:

[Start of resolution]
This document provides informative guidance with regard to the interpretation and application of WCAG 2.0 to non-Web documents and software. WCAG is a standard for Web content accessibility, and it does not deal with such things as hardware aspects of products, closed products and requirements for non-user interface aspects of platforms, nor individual components.

For this reason, this document is not sufficient by itself to ensure accessibility in non-Web documents and software. Addressing accessibility for non-Web documents and software may involve provisions beyond those included in this document. Authors and developers are encouraged to seek relevant advice about current best practices to ensure that non-Web documents and software are accessible, as far as possible, to people with disabilities.
[End of resolution]

Best regards,
Loïc

Loïc Martínez-Normand