Re: Definition of Documents -- OOPS - error fixed -- use this email to comment

Bruce,

I agree we need to be careful about author-intent-like language.

Because "setness" is something defined by the author (and then, if done
properly with inter-linking, etc., experienced by the user), I would
prefer phrasing closer to "designed to be a single entity".

See some of the language in our proposed response to LC-2821
<https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/35422/WD-wcag2ict-20130711/2821>
(emphasis added):

    The definition of SET was carefully crafted *to both capture the
    same sense of the term as intended or equivalent to the use of the
    term in WCAG* -- and to create a clear definition that can be
    applied in this case.   *This is not an attempt to generically
    define the term "set of applications" or "set of software".* *A set
    of web pages on a website is a (sub)set of content created by a
    single author, who designed those pages to be collected together in
    a set.*  Our definition is meant ONLY to be "the way that 'set of
    documents/software' should be interpreted when using it to try to
    apply this success criterion to non-web documents (or software), and
    our definition carries forward that "designed to be together"
    concept to non-web documents (and likewise non-web software).

Peter

--
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Peter Korn | Accessibility Principal