Re: We area close !

Hi Gregg,

I really think it would be useful to take the Examples for UI Context
discussion
<https://sites.google.com/site/wcag2ict/cross-cutting-issues-and-notes/user-interface-context/ui-context-examples>
and apply your suggested definitions to them.

*2.4.1. Bypass Blocks: *

  * Looking at How many Example #1: two document windows
    <https://sites.google.com/site/wcag2ict/cross-cutting-issues-and-notes/user-interface-context/ui-context-examples/how-many-two-document-windows>
    since the menu bar & toolbar can be repeated in the software, some
    bypass mechanism would be needed... *This seems like a reasonable
    application.*
  * Looking at Changed? Example #3: Tabbed panes
    <https://sites.google.com/site/wcag2ict/cross-cutting-issues-and-notes/user-interface-context/ui-context-examples/changed-example-3-tabbed-panes>**there
    is nothing formally repeated, so this wouldn't apply. *That too
    *seems like a reasonable application.**
  * Looking at Changed? Example #24 calender appointments
    <https://sites.google.com/site/wcag2ict/cross-cutting-issues-and-notes/user-interface-context/ui-context-examples/changed-example-24-calender-appointments>
    since the calendar title & days repeat while content below changes,
    arguably again some bypass mechanism would be needed. *This seems
    like a reasonable application.*

*2.4.2 Page Titled:*

  * Looking at How many Example #1: two document windows
    <https://sites.google.com/site/wcag2ict/cross-cutting-issues-and-notes/user-interface-context/ui-context-examples/how-many-two-document-windows>
    there is no obvious visible page title; "Untitled Document 1" is no
    more or less the obvious "software title" than "Untitled Document 2"
    is (and in fact, clearly neither one  is correct). *This seems like
    a poor fit to this situation.
    *
  * Looking at Changed? Example #3: Tabbed panes
    <https://sites.google.com/site/wcag2ict/cross-cutting-issues-and-notes/user-interface-context/ui-context-examples/changed-example-3-tabbed-panes>**we
    don't know for sure what the application name is.  If it is "Media
    Center" then this would be helpful; if not... then not. *This seems
    like may not be a good fit to this situation. *****
  * Looking at Changed? Example #24 calender appointments
    <https://sites.google.com/site/wcag2ict/cross-cutting-issues-and-notes/user-interface-context/ui-context-examples/changed-example-24-calender-appointments>
    it is pretty obvious to folks raised with a cultural familiarity
    with the Julian calendar that this is a calendar / appointment
    application.  It is not at all clear what the software title is; it
    isn't "October".  And consuming a significant portion of a small
    screen to display the software application name would come at
    significant cost, and somewhat questionable benefit. *This seems
    like may not be a good fit to this situation. *

    Note: Since Understanding for 2.4.2 begins with "The intent of this
    Success Criterion is to help users find content and orient
    themselves within it", and specific benefits include "People with
    visual disabilities will benefit from being able to differentiate
    content when multiple Web pages are open" and "People with cognitive
    disabilities, limited short-term memory and reading disabilities
    also benefit from the ability to identify content by its title".

*2.4.5 Multiple Ways:*

  * Looking at How many Example #1: two document windows
    <https://sites.google.com/site/wcag2ict/cross-cutting-issues-and-notes/user-interface-context/ui-context-examples/how-many-two-document-windows>
    it wouldn't apply, as there isn't a "set of software products"
    visible in the example.*
    *
  * Looking at Changed? Example #3: Tabbed panes
    <https://sites.google.com/site/wcag2ict/cross-cutting-issues-and-notes/user-interface-context/ui-context-examples/changed-example-3-tabbed-panes>**again
    it wouldn't apply, as there isn't a "set of software products"
    visible in the example. **
  * Looking at Changed? Example #24 calender appointments
    <https://sites.google.com/site/wcag2ict/cross-cutting-issues-and-notes/user-interface-context/ui-context-examples/changed-example-24-calender-appointments>
    again it wouldn't apply, as there isn't a "set of software products"
    visible in the example. *
    *

    Note that Understanding is tied to locating content & information,
    not locating applications and functions; not clear how much
    application 2.4.5 has to software UIs.  Or perhaps none of these (or
    any of our) examples are useful to illustrate where 2.4.5 would be
    helpful.  Perhaps we need other examples for software, showing where
    and how it would work.  AND more especially, describing HOW the
    helpfulness in WCAG 2.0 Understanding translates into similar
    helpfulness in the software world!

*3.2.3: Consistent Navigation: *

  * Looking at How many Example #1: two document windows
    <https://sites.google.com/site/wcag2ict/cross-cutting-issues-and-notes/user-interface-context/ui-context-examples/how-many-two-document-windows>
    since the windows are simply repeated except with different non-GUI
    content, if any of the UI components are termed "navigation" this
    would be automatically met.  If none are termed "navigation", then
    it doesn't apply. *This seems like it could be OK; certainly no harm
    is done.*
  * Looking at Changed? Example #3: Tabbed panes
    <https://sites.google.com/site/wcag2ict/cross-cutting-issues-and-notes/user-interface-context/ui-context-examples/changed-example-3-tabbed-panes>**it
    looks like it wouldn't apply, as there aren't any "repeated
    navigation mechanisms" visible in the example.
  * Looking at Changed? Example #24 calender appointments
    <https://sites.google.com/site/wcag2ict/cross-cutting-issues-and-notes/user-interface-context/ui-context-examples/changed-example-24-calender-appointments>
    again it looks like it wouldn't apply, as there aren't any "repeated
    navigation mechanisms" visible in the example. **

    Note that this seems like it is a rare situation to actually occur
    in most software, other than "content-driven" software like books or
    other sets of information with things like next/prev links on them
    (e.g. Help applications and the like, which are essentially similar
    to HTML/web content).

 From this quick analysis, I think we may have something not too
unreasonable for 2.4.2 Bypass Blocks.  We might have something for 2.4.5
Multiple Ways and for 3.2.3 Consistent Navigation - but I think we need
to come up with a set of positive examples where this really occurs &
would apply; it isn't clear from the examples we've generated on the
Examples for UI Context discussion
<https://sites.google.com/site/wcag2ict/cross-cutting-issues-and-notes/user-interface-context/ui-context-examples>
that they are particularly useful.

I think this approach fails for 2.4.2 Page Titled.  If we instead say
that the "title" of the "software" is the software applications "name"
(whether the executable name or the name as it appears in things like
the Windows Start menu), then we have moved significantly away from what
Understanding for 2.4.2 is all about -> helping users locate the content
& information they want. Rather, if we want to apply 2.4.2 to the GUI
environment, going with window title seems a better match.  But then
what do we do about the burgeoning world of mobile software UIs?  And
what about audio UIs? Does Page Titled really make sense in those
worlds?  Maybe not...

Peter

--
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>